Artistcellar sent me two fabulous stencils to play with from their Sacred Geometry Series – “Square Rose and Flower of Life”. I was excited about experimenting with these stencils and sharing it here. The 6”x 6” size makes it great to use with a lot of different projects.
I needed a little “Spring” lift, after all the winter temperatures in my region, along with very gray days. I prepped two of my large format journal (22”x18”) with Liquitex Gesso.
Since most of my work incorporates some style of portraits/faces, I wanted to see how I could utilize these stencils into that format. Stencils are great; if you want to create wonderful backgrounds, add a different detail to your art or if you don’t have the time or skills to express your creativity.
I find that stencils are great tools to work with. After prepping, I drew two simple images, I then taped down my Artistcellar “Square Rose” stencil to the page and used a pencil to outline the stencil onto the page.
Once that was finished I then used my black Coptic marker to outline the pencil drawing of the stencil.
Once that was completed, I used various markers to color in the flower details of my stencil drawing. I took my time on detailing this part, because it was so meditative. I wanted to add some glitz to the page, so I then added a block of imitation gold leaf on each side of the image (following the easy directions that come with the gold leaf kit), to make the imagery pop!
On the left journal page, I used the “Flower Power” Stencil.
With the complexity of the right side of my journal pages, I wanted the left page to be fun, simple and clean.
I used my stencil brushes and my flower of life stencil, I then added my lettering with my alphabet stencil.This was so much fun and I had a chance to use the both stencils in a meditative way, which appeal to my need for simplicity and complexity.
Thank you Artistcellar, for these great stencils to work with and add to my spring time journaling fun!
List of Products/Tools Used:
- Artistcellar Sacred Geometry Series “Flower of Life” and “Square Rose” Stencils
- Stencil brushes
- Liquitex Gesso
- Liquitex Basics Acrylic Paint (Light Red and Titanium White)
- Americana Acrylic Craft Paints (Blue Harbor, Baby Blue, True Blue, Boysenberry Pink and Baby Pink)
- Farber-Castell – 6 PITT artist pens (Manga set)
- Farber-Castell PITT large White 101 artist pen
- Farber-Castell Pencil – 2H
- Black Coptic Sketch marker
- Sharpie Paint Pens – Medium – oil based pens (white and blue)
- Sakura Opaque Pigment Markers – dual sides – (light blue, fuschia, orange, purple, and green)
- Mona Lisa Art Products – Imitation Gold Leaf Kit
- Artist Loft Alphabet Stencil – Roman Lettering Style